Most companies know that obsolete electronics must be carefully managed. Some have value and can be reused. However, when it is really waste, it just can’t be tossed in the trash because it’s hazardous and may contain sensitive data. Businesses need recyclers who protect assets and limit risks.
Do you really know your recycler?
It can be difficult knowing the right questions to ask when investigating potential recycling service providers. Even professional environmental auditors often do not have the proper training or experience to properly audit an electronics recycling operation in a way that protects their clients’ from data security and environmental issues. Moreover, making sure recyclers continue to perform as promised is very expensive, with even the most careful due diligence sometimes failing to protect your company. The complexity of effectively screening and hiring electronics recyclers leads many companies to award e-waste contracts to service providers with the lowest cost and, the lowest integrity.
Don’t think it can happen to your company? Here is an example featured in 60 Minutes of a firm pretending to be a responsible recycler but shown to be exporting e-waste to China. Your brand, the security of you data, and your stature as a good corporate citizen are all threatened by recyclers who do not follow clear and transparent standards for handling your old electronics. Some recyclers even use U.S. prison labor to reduce costs.
e-Stewards Enterprises Benefits
- Protection: the only global, comprehensive shield from the significant threats presented by generating e-waste: pollution, data loss, and brand damage
- Savings: major reduction in recycler vendor qualification, due diligence and monitoring costs
- Branding: tangible, extensive, high-profile evidence of corporate social responsibility. Flying the e-Stewards Enterprise logo aligns your company with nearly 70 environmental and social justice groups such as the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and the Natural Resource Defense Council.
- Support: ongoing, continuous guidance from the recognized leading experts about e-waste policies and global best practices.
- Compliance: over two-dozen states have adopted e-waste laws, and more laws are being developed at both the state and federal level. The U.S. Federal Electronics Challenge tells it’s partners that using e-Stewards recyclers “meets your federal requirements to employ environmentally sound practices with respect to disposition of electronic products.’ E-Stewards Enterprise status means you meet and exceed all state laws and will be well prepared for any forthcoming federal legislation.
Promote your sustainable business with the e-Stewards Enterprise logo!
Companies engaging e-Steward Recyclers can be proud of their uncompromising commitment to sustainable business practices. The all new e-Stewards Enterprise designation now enables companies to publicize their best efforts to their community and to their employees. As an e-Steward Enterprise, your company may use the e-Stewards Enterprise name and logo to tell customers you’re doing the right thing. As an additional benefit, your company will be recognized in an ongoing national publicity campaign spotlighting the most progressive corporations, institutions, and agencies that have made the right choice to address the fastest growing toxic waste problem in the world today. All you have to do is execute the e-Stewards Enterprise Licensing Agreement stating that you give preferential treatment to e-Stewards Recyclers when awarding e-waste management contracts and pay a small licensing fee. For more information and a copy of the Licensing Agreement, fill out the contact form or simply contact us.
Also see our FAQs about the e-Stewards Enterprise Program.