Make the right choice with an e-Stewards recycler. e-Stewards recyclers are committed to the highest standard for environmentally and socially responsible management of e-waste.
What you can do
- If you have electronic waste, recycle responsibly by finding and using an a e-Stewards recycler.
- If you are a business or organization, become an e-Stewards Enterprise. This means you commit to only using e-Stewards Recyclers, and you can receive special recognition from the environmental community for doing so.
- Recyclers, asset recovery companies, refiners, and processors: become a Certified e-Stewards Recycler. Prove to your customers that you responsibly manage e-waste.
The e-Stewards certification for recyclers identifies companies who have committed to the e-Steward Standard. If you are a consumer or organization disposing of old electronics, selecting a certified e-Stewards Recycler provides you the industry’s only assurance that disposing of your old electronics:
- will not result in toxic materials being exported to developing world nations
- will not result in broken down, non-functioning equipment being illegally exported to developing countries
- will not be incinerated or disposed of in landfills or incinerators
- will not be processed in a manner that puts the health and safety of recycling workers at risk
- will not result in your private data being unexpectedly exposed to outsiders
- will not be processed by prisoners without all the protections and benefits of private sector workers
See the e-Stewards Certification Introduction for more detailed information about this program.
e-Stewards Pledge program
The certification program grew out of an earlier BAN program known as the Electronic Recycler Pledge of True Stewardship. Today, all companies signing the pledge have undergone a desk and documentation audit of their recycling practices. All e-Stewards recyclers are required to achieve certification by September 1, 2011.