Last week BAN sent out a Press Release announcing support for SEERA — a bipartisan bill just introduced into the House of Representatives that will once and for all prohibit most electronic waste from being shipped overseas. Such exports are already banned in Europe and provide unfair competition to responsible electronics recyclers in the U.S. who don’t resort to exportation.
This bill is a win-win-win proposition as it will protect national security, create domestic recycling business and jobs, while protecting the global environment and human health.
This bill aligns perfectly with the e-Stewards Certification and so we hope you will consider supporting it to finally win this issue for your business, for the country and for the planet. The Coalition of American Electronics Recyclers is the focal point for the legislative effort. Here’s how you can help:
- 1. Help recruit congressional co-sponsors and supporters.
- 2. You can look up your representative here. Write them a letter as per this model.
- 3. If you’re not already part of CAER, become a member today! There’s no cost to join – simply fill out the form on their website and show your support for SEERA. CAER will then contact you about:
- Hosting facility tours to educate Congressional staffers
- Attending fly-in events in Washington
- Networking to broaden support in the e-recycling industry
CAER is the voice of the emerging e-waste recycling industry on Capitol Hill. CAER includes more than 150 companies and supporting members operating more than 300 facilities in 37 states as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.