Disciplined, consistent and effective auditor training is at the heart of any rigorous conformity assessment program. The high standards and qualifications required of e-Stewards auditors assure that audits will be effective and the results reliable across the certification program.
The e-Stewards program only allows claims of conformance to the e-Stewards Standard to be made by accredited certification bodies who utilize qualified auditors to conduct independent audits of applicant e-Stewards Recyclers. Auditors who audit to the e-Stewards Standard for certification purposes must be employed by or under contract with an accredited e-Stewards Certification Body.
Auditors who participate in this program are qualified according to requirements set forth in ANAB’s Accreditation Rule #33 and ISO 19011, “Guidelines for quality and/or environmental management systems auditing”. The specific requirements for e-Stewards auditor qualification include:
- Being fully qualified as an ISO 14001 auditor;
- Completion of a BAN designated e-Stewards auditor training course, currently provided by SAI Global training division; and
- Continuing education requirements for an auditor refresher training course approved by BAN, every 36 months following completion of the initial training.
NOTE: Although not a requirement, it is also very helpful if auditors have OSHAS 18001 training in preparation for e-Stewards auditor training.
Current ISO 14001 auditor qualifications (one of the prerequisite for e-Stewards auditors)
The requirements for ISO 14001 auditor qualifications include the following:
- Completion of secondary education
- At least 4 years post-secondary education work experience
- At least 2 years work experience in a relevant (environmental) field
- Successful completion of an accredited 40-hour third party audit training course
- Audit experience, including at least 4 complete audits for a total of at least 20 audit days
e-Stewards Auditor Training
SAI Global, working closely with BAN, developed an intensive 3-day auditor training program designed to equip qualified ISO 14001 environmental management system auditors with the necessary background for conducting audits to the e-Stewards Standard. Training topics include:
- e-Waste Stewardship (e-Waste crisis, Regulations, Basel Convention and OECD Treaty)
- Industry primer (operations and processes to be encountered)
- e-Stewards Standard (detailed review of definitions and requirements)
- Planning and conducting an e-Stewards Audit
- Certification of e-Stewards Recyclers
- Unique features of the e-Stewards Program
Sign up for the e-Stewards auditor training with SAI Global.
SAI Global was chosen as the e-Stewards auditor training provider due to its leadership role in the conformity assessment training field. SAI Global has a demonstrated capability to provide high quality training of auditors around the world and supports many international standards and industry-specific certification programs globally, including ISO 14001 and 9000, OHSAS 18001, aerospace, telecommunications, and automotive standards.